Is Monstera Toxic To Dogs?

Monstera plants are a type of evergreen native to tropical regions of Central and South America. Also known as the Swiss cheese plant, monsteras are prized for their large, dark green leaves, which are covered in white markings.

The ASPCA says Monstera plants contain calcium oxalate crystals, which can cause, excessive drooling,  oral irritation, difficulty swallowing, and vomiting if ingested by canines.

If your dog has eaten a monstera plant, it is essential to call your dog’s vet or contact the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center right away. While they are not typically fatal to dogs, they can lead to serious health issues if not treated promptly.

If you have a dog and are considering adding a Monstera to your home, it is important to take precautions to ensure that your pet does not come into contact with the plant. For example, consider keeping the plant out of reach or placing it in an area where your dog does not have access.

By taking these simple steps, you can gaze upon the beauty of Monsteras without putting your fur baby at risk.

Monstera’s Defense: Calcium Oxalate Crystals

Monsteras are relatively easy to care for, which has contributed to their popularity as houseplants. However, a part of the care is often overlooked: calcium oxalate crystals. These crystals are found throughout the plant and can irritate if the skin comes in contact with them.

In addition, they can be harmful if ingested by animals such as dogs. As a result, it is crucial to take care when handling these plants and to keep them out of reach of pets.

Although the crystals may seem harmless, they are actually essential to the plant’s defense system. The crystals help to deter predators and also play a role in regulating the plant’s water uptake. As a result, calcium oxalate crystals are essential to the Monstera plant’s unique defense system.

While they may look harmless, these crystals can actually be quite dangerous to pets. When ingested, they can cause severe irritation to the mouth and throat. In some cases, they may even lead to difficulty breathing or an obstruction in the digestive tract.

Also, the sap contains calcium oxalate crystals, which can cause burning and itching when they come into contact with the skin. In severe cases, swelling and blistering may occur. If your dog comes into contact with the sap of these plants, immediately wash the area with soap and water. If you have any concerns, give your vet a call.

Related: Plants Poisonous To Dogs

What Should You Do If Your Pup Eats A Monstera Plant?

Your furry friend may experience some gastrointestinal upset if he ingests any part of these plants. Symptoms may include diarrhea, vomiting, and abdominal pain.

Monitor your dog and encourage it to drink water. This will prevent dehydration, reduce mouth pain, and possibly eliminate some of the crystals, which can be dangerous. Contact your veterinarian immediately if the symptoms are severe or your dog is not improving.

They will likely recommend bringing your pet in for a check-up and may even prescribe medication to help relieve the symptoms. Sometimes, they may suggest you bring the dog in for emergency treatment.

If your dog ingests a large amount of the plant, he may also experience tremors, seizures, and difficulty breathing.

The sooner they get treatment, the better their chances of recovering fully. Your dog will likely receive IV fluids and other supportive care at the vet’s office. In addition, surgery may sometimes be necessary to remove the plant material from the digestive tract.

With quick treatment, most canines fully recover from ingesting these plants.

Preventing Your Pup From Eating A Monstera Plant

You can take a few simple steps to prevent your pup from getting into the plant. First, choose a spot for your Monstera that is out of your dog’s reach. If you have a small dog, you might want to place the plant on a high shelf or table.

For larger dogs, you might need to move the plant to a room your dog doesn’t have access to. You can also try making the plant less appealing to your dog. For example, spray the leaves with lemon water or cover the soil with rocks.

By taking these precautions, you can relish your Monsteras without worrying about your pup’s safety.

Is It OK To Have A Monstera Plant If I Have A Dog?

While Monstera plants are beautiful and easy to care for, they are not the best choice for homes with dogs. The reason is the plant’s calcium oxalate crystals, which can harm pets if ingested.

If you have a dog and you’re considering getting a Monstera plant, it’s vital to take steps to keep your pup safe. Make sure to choose a spot for your plant that is out of your dog’s reach and take measures to make it less appealing to your pet.

Implementing these suggestions allows you to enjoy your plant without putting your dog at risk.

Will The Plant Die If My Dogs Take A Bite Of It?

Fortunately, the answer is no. The Monstera is quite resilient and will continue to grow even if it sustains some damage. In fact, many people actually encourage their Monstera plants to develop holes and tears in their leaves, as this is part of the plant’s natural growth pattern.

You should cut off the damaged part, though, as it will not heal on its own.

So, if your four-legged friend takes a nibble out of your Monstera, don’t worry – it will likely bounce back just fine.

Can A Dog Develop Bladder Stones After Eating A Monstera Plant?

No, a dog cannot develop bladder stones after eating a Monstera Plant. Bladder stones form when there is a build-up of minerals in the urinary tract. While the calcium oxalate crystals in these plants can irritate the digestive system, they will not cause bladder stones.

Kidney stones in dogs are caused by various things, including genetics, diet, and infection. If you’re concerned that your dog may be at risk for kidney stones, talk to your veterinarian about the best way to prevent them.

What Other Names Are There For The Monstera Plant?

The Monstera Plant is also known by a few other names, including the Swiss Cheese Plant, the Mexican Breadfruit, and the Hurricane Plant. It’s also referred to by its scientific name, Monstera deliciosa.

No matter what you call it, the Monstera plant is a trendy choice for indoor plants. Just be sure to take precautions to keep it out of your furry friend’s reach.

Is The Monstera Deliciosa The Same As The Split-Leaf Philodendron?

No, the Monstera Deliciosa is not the same as the Split-Leaf Philodendron. The two plants are in the same family but are different species. The main difference between these two plants is that the Monstera Deliciosa has larger leaves with deep splits, while the Split-Leaf Philodendron has smaller, shallower splits.

Both plants contain calcium oxalate crystals, which can harm pets if ingested. If you have a dog and you’re considering getting either of these plants, it’s crucial to take steps to keep them safe. Choose a spot for the plant that is out of your dog’s reach and take measures to make the plant less appealing to your pet. Being a responsible dog parent allows you to enjoy your plant without putting your dog at risk.


While the Monstera plant is beautiful and easy to care for, it’s essential to be aware of its dangers to dogs. If you have a dog and a Monstera plant in your home, make sure you are taking steps to keep your pet safe.

Keep sap and calcium oxalate crystals away from your pup by keeping the plants out of reach and wiping down any surfaces they may come into contact with. Taking a cautious approach allows you to enjoy your plants and pets safely!

Further Reading: