Did your dog somehow get to your candy bar stash box and ate some Kit Kat?
The first and most pertinent thing to know is that, in some cases, chocolate can be highly toxic and even deadly for canines.
Read on to find out more about what happens if the dog eats chocolate.
We have elaborated on questions such as how much chocolate can be fatal for canines and what home remedies to apply if your dog ate a Kit Kat or anything else containing chocolate.
The same applies to the cases when your dog eats a donut, some chocolate cake, or enjoys some of your chocolate milk, to mention a few.
Why Is Chocolate Poisonous To Dogs?
Chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine, two methylxanthines that dogs cannot metabolize as quickly (and as well) as humans can. Too high levels of theobromine in the bloodstream and the dog’s organism can cause mild to severe chocolate toxicity.
Keep in mind that some chocolates are more toxic than others. In general, the darker the chocolate, the higher its theobromine content. But even white chocolate could be dangerous for canines.
The chocolates and products with the highest concentration of this potentially poisonous chemical for canines include unsweetened cocoa powder, baking chocolate, chocolate flavor puddings, and other dry mixes for chocolate desserts.
This means that your dog’s risk of chocolate poisoning is determined by the type of chocolate consumed, as well as its body weight and overall health.
Smaller dogs can be poisoned by chocolate much easier and in much lower quantities than large and giant breeds.
How Dangerous And Toxic Are Kit Kat Bars For Dogs?
One wafer bar of Kit Kat weighs 1.5-oz (42 grams) and contains 48.7mg of theobromine and 5.9mg of caffeine.
Since it is made with milk chocolate, it is not as toxic for canines as other chocolate bars, treats, and desserts
According to approximate calculations, it will take this many Kit Kat bars to affect and eventually poison your dog:
5 oz. of Kit Kat for dogs weighing 10 lbs.
7 oz. of Kit Kat for dogs weighing 20 lbs.
If you are worried that your dog has eaten a potentially dangerous amount of Kit Kat, call your vet or an emergency pet poison control hotline immediately!
Your vet will instruct you regarding the further actions you should take, depending on the case. If you are asked to go to the clinic, then do so as soon as possible. The faster you act, the bigger the chances of your pup improving faster and without complications!
What Are The Symptoms Of Chocolate Poisoning In Dogs?
Depending on the specific case, the amount and type of chocolate ingested, and the size and weight of the dog, it can experience one or more of the following symptoms of chocolate toxicity:
- Increased and more frequent urination
- Increased thirst
- Elevated heart rate
To stay safe, keep any products and beverages such as chocolate fudge, candy bars, Hershey Kisses, and all other foods and drinks that contain chocolate, cocoa, or caffeine away from your dog!
You can prepare various delicious, perfectly healthy, and safe dog treats instead!
- Can Dogs Eat Caramel? Is it Safe or Toxic?