As a dog owner, you want what is best for your fur baby, right?
Feeding your pup with pure, all-natural, and well-balanced food is essential for its health and wellbeing. Pure Balance dry or wet food is the perfect solution to keeping your beloved pet happy and healthy.
The Pure Balance dog food brand was first established in 2012 by Walmart, which recognized the growing demand of dog owners for affordable, top quality, safe, natural, and nutrient balanced pet food.
Walmart hired Ainsworth to produce the perfect affordable and quality dog food, and the manufacturer managed to combine all these features in its Pure Balance dog food product line.
They are readily available in several different recipes, dry and wet types, and various quantities at reasonable prices, unlike other high-end pet foods with natural and pure ingredients, which often have to be especially ordered and are difficult to find in regular stores.
Here are the main pros and cons of Pure Balance.
- It is readily available in every Walmart store and on Amazon, unlike other pure and healthy high-end dog foods sold at designated pet stores or can only be pre-ordered, so there is no need to place orders and wait for it to be delivered.
- The ingredients are carefully picked and combined to provide well-balanced, nutritional healthy meals for your dog. The wholesome ingredients make the digestion of the food easier and help improve the dogs’ digestive and immune systems, leading them to be much happier and healthier.
- They are much more affordable than high-end dog foods, which also use wholesome and natural ingredients.
- As with any other type of dog food, some pets may not respond well to this one. They can dislike it or may show negative digestive effects after consuming it.
Pure Balance dog food is a reasonably priced, readily available, healthy food for your pets. All pure ingredients combine perfectly to create a delicious and properly balanced meal for a healthier and happier canine friend.
Today’s Top Dog and Cat Deals on Chewy – Save Money Now!
The ingredients in Pure Balance
The ingredients used for making the different Pure Balance wet and dry dog foods are similar to those used in the high-end natural balance foods for pets. The main ingredients in Pure Balance include real meat such as salmon, chicken, and bison, which are no doubt excellent proteins necessary for your dog’s wellbeing.
However, some added chicken and other meat meals for added protein in certain Pure Balance products, which some pet owners may find problematic.
Certain products from the Pure Balance line are grain-free and have added omega fatty acids. Not all are grain-free, which can be of concern if you are one of the dog owners who want to limit or eliminate their pet’s grain intake.
The Walmart pet food brand uses brown rice rather than white rice, which is a definite plus, as it is much healthier for canines. No wheat, corn, or soy is used as a filler for the Pure Balance foods, which is also very good news for dog parents who monitor the diets of their babies closely and who don’t want them to consume caloric and yet non-nutritional meals.
Overall, at this price range, the ingredients used for the production of Pure Balance dog foods are comparable to other natural balanced dog food brands.
Recall history and potential dangers
No recalls of Pure Balance dog foods have been recorded on the FDA website. Even so, there are some reviews by customers who have complained that their dogs got diarrhea and had similar digestive problems after consuming Pure Balance food. So, it is a good idea to test whether your dog is not too sensitive to the food before purchasing large quantities of it.
Is Pure Balance the most suitable food for your dog?
You are getting a new dog, or are you looking at different options for changing your dog’s diet? Pure Balance can be the perfect choice for you, or maybe it isn’t.
The answer depends on your dog’s nutritional needs, health, and activity level, as well as the environment.
Overall, the ingredients used for the making of the Pure Balance dog food line are way above the average, but still, every dog is individual when it comes to how it accepts, digests, and reacts to a certain food.
It is always a good idea to ask your vet for advice regarding the right type or brand of food to feed your dog.
You should know, though that the Pure Balance brand has passed the minimum requirements of the AAFCO Pet Food Committee for dog foods, which means that it is healthy for your dog.
What are the different types of Pure Balance dog food?
Pure Balance Grain Free
Pure grain-free dog food means that there are no fillers used in low-cost and low-quality pet foods. The problem with grains such as corn, wheat, and soy fillers is that they contribute to the calorie intake of the dog, but have very little nutritional value.
High-quality dog food uses pure meat and proteins for its foods, and such is the case with Pure Balance.
The grain-free Pure Balance foods include Wild and Free, Super Food, and Limited Ingredient foods.
Pure Balance 95%
This is the first Pure Balance canned food line. It too is grain-free. While it is considered a premium dog wet foot, it is available at a very reasonable price compared to other high-end premium pet foods.
Related: Full list of recommended grain-free dog food
There are different recipes in the 95% line, including Beef and chicken, Turkey and chicken, and only chicken.
There are no fillers used in the Pure Balance 95% canned food line.
Related: Is Grain Free Bad For Dogs?
Pure Balance Canned Dog Food
This line is very similar to the 95% one, but it has higher customer ratings. It costs less and yet is of higher quality. The way to differentiate it from the 95% series is to look for the word “stew” on the can.
Pure Balance Dry Dog Food
Apart from the grain-free and 95% lines, there is a series of regular dry dog recipes offered by Pure Balance. These dry foods are corn-free, and instead of this type of filler, they contain brown rice, which has some nutritional value compared to corn.
The quality of the dry foods of Pure Balance is much higher than the average dry dog foods.
Today’s Top Dog and Cat Deals on Chewy – Save Money Now!
To help you choose the most suitable food from the Pure Balance line, we have reviewed, tested, and rated them all. Here are our top picks for the most recommended offers by Pure Balance.
Purina Pro Plan SAVOR Shredded Blend With Probiotics Adult Dry Dog Food
If your dog is a picky eater, then you should definitely try feeding it with the Pro Plan Savor Shredded Blend Dry Dog Food.
The dry food is made of premium quality protein as a first ingredient and is made of both crunchy kibble and meaty soft pieces of food combined in one.
The SAVOR Shredded dry dog food is fortified with probiotics, which will help improve the gut flora of your pup and help its immune and digestive system stay healthy.
You can purchase it in four different recipes, including Salmon and rice, beef and rice, chicken and rice, and Lamb and rice.
The food is suitable for adult dogs of all breeds and will be appreciated by even the most pretentious ones.
- It combines crunchy kibble and tender shredded morsels
- Each formula has real meat or poultry protein as its first ingredient and a 26% protein content
- The dry food has added omega-6 fatty acid and vitamin A for a beautiful and shiny coat
- Added glucosamine for bone and joint health
- It is fortified with live probiotics to improve the immune and digestive systems of the pup
- Made and formulated to provide a balanced meal and keep the adult dog in shape
- Suitable for all breeds and sizes
- Sold in bags of 5, 6, 17, 18, 33, 35, and 47 lbs.
- Offered in four different recipes, with chicken, salmon, beef, or lamb with rice
- Its crude fat content is 16%, and its fiber is max. 3%
- The kibble may be too big and too hard for smaller pups and those with dental issues
If your fur baby is picky about its food, and you have trouble getting him or her interested in dry food, you should most certainly try out the Purina Pro Plan SAVOR Shredded blend. It includes a 50-50 mix of dry kibble and savory soft meaty pieces.
The high-quality dog food has 26% protein content, with real poultry or meat as the first ingredient in all available formulas.
It has added live probiotics to improve gut health and boost the immune system of your dog.
It also contains omega-6 fatty acids, and vitamin A to make the coat of your pup shinier and healthier than ever.
Your dog will be getting the glucosamine it needs for improved joint health as well.
Overall, the Pro Plan Savor Shredded Blend dog food is an excellent option for healthy adult dogs and will provide them with the nutrients, minerals, vitamins, and probiotics they need to stay healthy, happy, fit, and active.
The food is available in a variety of recipes, with chicken, lamb, beef, or salmon as a first ingredient, and is sold in bags from 5lbs. up to 47 lbs.
Related: Quality Weight Loss Dog Food in 2022
Purina Pro Plan SPORT All Life Stages Formula Dry Dog Food
If your dog is a highly active working or athlete canine, then it needs adequately balanced, nutritional, and protein-rich food to stay healthy, fit, and energetic.
The Pro Plan Sport All Life Stages Dry Dog Food is designed and made with active dogs in mind, as well as all other dogs of all ages and sizes.
The dry food has a 30 to 20 ratio of proteins to fat. Protein is essential for building lean muscle, while fat is a crucial energy source for your pup.
The dry dog food will help boost the performance and the endurance of the dog. It has added vitamins, minerals, and other essential nutrients to promote joint health, oxygen metabolism, and coat and skin health.
- It has a 30/20 protein/fat ratio for muscle building and energy
- The food is suitable for dogs of all ages and sizes, including working or athlete dogs
- Made for dogs in all life stages
- The first real ingredient is real lean chicken
- It is made to enhance the metabolism of oxygen for improved endurance
- It contains vitamins, minerals, omega-3, omega-6 fatty acids, and DHA and EPA
- The added amino acids will help nourish and rebuild the muscles after strenuous exercise
- It has added glucosamine to boost the joint health and strength
- There are no added artificial flavors, preservatives, or colors in the food
- The food is 475 kcal per cup
- It is a high-calorie food so you can feed your dog smaller portions
- It is also available in Active 26/16 protein to fat ratio formulas
- The different recipes include grain-free chicken, salmon, and beef options
- The food is sold in bags of 4, 6, 18, 24, 33, 37.5, 48, and 50 lbs.
- Due to its high caloric value, you should be careful when portioning the food, depending on your dog’s age, size, health, and activity level
The Purina Pro Plan Sport All Life Stages dry dog food is a high-quality kibble with a 30% protein and 20% fat content and high caloric value. It is suitable for active dogs of all ages and sizes and is designed to replenish their muscles and energy, improve their joint health, boost their endurance, and make the dogs healthier, faster, and happier.
The food has chicken as its number one ingredient and contains no artificial ingredients.
It is packed with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, fatty acids, and amino acids, which will ensure that the dog receives a balanced meal every time and that it has the energy and is healthy enough to go on with its active lifestyle.
The dry food is available in different size options, and different recipes, including grain-free ones.
You need to be careful with the portion sizes when moving on from regular dry dog food, because this one is high in calories, and dogs that are older or less active may put on weight if they overeat.
Purina Pro Plan SAVOR Adult Canned Wet Dog Food Variety Pack Pate
If your pup prefers wet dog food, then the Pro Plan SAVOR canned food is an excellent choice. The variety pack includes 12 13-ounce cans, including six Savor Beef and rice entrée pates, and six chicken and rice entrée pates.
The SAVOR series is also available in a gravy variant, as well as in other recipe options, including beef and brown rice, beef and lamb, beef and vegetables, beef with green beans and brown rice, chicken and vegetables, chicken with carrots and barley, lamb and vegetables, turkey and vegetables, and turkey with peas and brown rice.
You can also buy it in smaller can sizes of 5.5 ounces.
The SAVOR wet food is a perfectly balanced nutritional food for adult dogs of all sizes and breeds.
- The variety pack includes two delicious recipes – chicken and rice and beef and rice
- The food is in pate form which is the favorite for even the most pretentious pups
- It offers a completely balanced meal for any adult dog
- The food can be fed on its own, or used as an appetite-stimulating topper for dry food
- Made of real lean chicken and beef as first ingredients with added healthy carbohydrates
- The food contains powerful antioxidants for a strong immune system
- The added omega-6 fatty acids will ensure that the coat and skin of your pup are healthy and beautiful
- No added artificial flavors, preservatives, or colors
- A minimum of 9% of crude protein and a maximum of 6% of crude fat in each can
- The wet food is fortified with 23 essential minerals and vitamins
- Suitable for adult dogs of all sizes and breeds
- It is also available in other recipe options with different proteins, vegetables, and carbohydrates
- You can buy it in 13-oz or 5.5-oz cans
- Wet food is messier and doesn’t last as long as dry dog food does
The Purina Pro Plan Savor Canned Wet Dog food variety pack is the perfect choice if you want to stimulate the appetite of your picky eater pup.
It has a pate texture, which is something that any dog craves.
The variety pack includes 12 cans of 13 ounces each and has two different recipes including, chicken and rice entrée and beef and rice entrée.
Both recipes feature real lean meat or poultry as the first ingredient, balanced with the right amount of fat and carbohydrates to keep the dog healthy, fit, and active.
The Savor wet dog food is fortified with over 20 essential minerals and vitamins, including fatty acids for a shiny coat and healthy skin.
It doesn’t contain any artificial ingredients.
The Savor series includes a wide variety of recipes, which are suitable for any dog with any taste or food sensitivities, or allergies.
Related: Recommended Hypoallergenic Dog Foods
Purina Pro Plan Focus Sensitive Skin & Stomach Lamb & Oat Adult Dry Dog Food
Skin and stomach sensitivity are issues that, unfortunately, are quite common among canines. Most dog parents will do anything to provide their sensitive pups with the appropriate food, which will not trigger these sensitivities and will help alleviate the symptoms, which can include itchiness, skin redness, hair loss, vomiting, diarrhea, and others.
But why spend a fortune on the high-end dog foods for sensitivities, when you can get this reasonably priced Pro Plan Focus dry dog food for sensitive stomachs and skin instead?
This dry dog food by Purina is explicitly formulated to address the issues of sensitive skin and stomach and is completely free of corn, wheat, and soy which are common sensitivity and allergy triggers.
The dry dog food has real lamb as its number 1 ingredient, added minerals, fatty acids, and vitamins for better skin health, and a special prebiotic fiber that will help improve the digestion and overall health of your pup.
- The specialized formula for dogs with sensitive stomachs and skin
- Made of premium quality real lamb as the first ingredient, and oar meal as the second
- A minimum of 26% of crude protein and a maximum of 16% of crude fat for a fit and healthy dog
- A highly-digestible formula with added prebiotic fiber for improved digestive health and gut flora
- Added zinc and omega-6 fatty acids to improve the skin and coat health
- The food offers a complete balanced diet
- Includes antioxidants for a strong and healthy immune system
- It contains no soy, wheat, or corn
- There are no artificial additives, colors or flavors, or preservatives in the food
- It is sold in bags of 4, 16, and 24 lbs.
- Some dog parents complain that the food is crushed and dust-like which could be due to bad packaging or handling due to delivery
The Purina Pro Plan Focus is a reasonably priced specialized dry dog food for pups with sensitive stomachs or skin which is an excellent alternative to the expensive veterinary diet foods for sensitivities.
It is formulated to help alleviate skin and stomach problems and to boost the skin, hair, and digestive health of the dog.
The kibble contains 26% of real lamb as the main protein and first ingredient. It also has added oatmeal, fiber prebiotics, and omega-6 fatty acids plus zinc, all added to reduce the itching of the skin, help make the coat shinier, and improve the balance in the intestines and thus the digestive system of your dog.
The Lamb and Oat dry food from the Focus Sensitive series is sold in bags of 4, 16, or 24 pounds.
It will help you have peace of mind that you are feeding your sensitive fur baby with the right ingredients, without any artificial additives, tastes, flavors, and without soy, wheat, or corn, which often trigger these sensitivities.
Pure Balance 95%
If you prefer to feed your beloved pet with wet food, you should definitely try out a Pure Balance 95% wet food series.
You can choose between the delicious chicken or beef flavors, or why not opt for the variety pack which includes several cans or trays. This will allow your pup to enjoy a different meal every day and will make it anticipate mealtime even more.
Made of whole food real ingredients, the wet dog food from Pure Balance is an absolute joy for dogs of all breeds, ages, and sizes.
- Very well-balanced recipe
- Contains no corn, wheat, soy, or gluten
- No added preservatives or artificial colors or flavors
- The real chicken meat is combined with peas, sweet potatoes, and gravy
- The real beef meat is mixed with sun-dried tomatoes, carrots, and gravy
- The variety pack includes 12 trays of 3.5oz each (6 chicken and 6 beef dinners)
- Can use the tray as a food bowl and then throw it away instead of washing up after mealtime
- Very reasonable price for the top premium quality of the product
- The canned food comes in 3 flavors: chicken -beef, chicken-turkey, and chicken
- Canned food doesn’t last as long as dry dog food
The Pure Balance wet dog food will make a perfect meal for any dog – young or old, big or small. It comes in various flavors, but all of the recipes are made of all-natural ingredients, with no added harmful fillers or artificial additives.
The wet food is available in cans or in smaller trays. The recipes include Beef, Chicken, chicken-Turkey, and Chicken -Beef.
The food is grain and gluten-free, so it is great for dogs with stomach problems or other sensitive pups.
It is offered at an excellent price for the high quality and health benefits this wet dog food from Pure Balance provides!
See also: Our List of Quality Wet Dog Foods
Pure Balance Grain-Free Formula, Salmon & Pea Recipe
If you want perfectly balanced and reasonably priced food for your beloved dog, the Pure Balance Grain Free Salmon and Pea dry food is definitely an option to consider.
It is made out of very carefully selected whole food ingredients which are essential for the proper nutrition of your dog and without any added unnecessary and often fattening and harmful grain-based fillers.
The primary ingredient is real salmon, with added peas for more natural fiber and carrots for improved eyesight.
The added minerals and vitamins, including vitamins C and E which are natural antioxidants, will help keep your dog’s heart and immune system healthy and strong.
- The first ingredient is real salmon – superb for muscle health and strengthening
- The carrots help benefit the eyesight and the peas are natural healthy fibers
- The food contains a lot of vitamins and minerals including antioxidants Vitamins E and C which are essential for your dog’s heart health and the strength of its immune system
- There are no added artificial flavors, colors or preservatives
- No corn, no soy or wheat added as fillers, so no unnecessary weight gain
- Excellent complete balanced meal for puppies, adult dogs, pregnant or lactating female dogs
- It contains salmon and fish meal which some owners may not be too happy about
This grain-free Pure Balance salmon and pea dry food is a superbly balanced dog food that is suitable for all dog breeds and ages. The pure protein from the real salmon is perfectly combined with the fiber from the peas and the beta-carotene from the added carrots.
It is offered in different sizes, and your dog will be as happy as ever to eat this pure, delicious, and nutritious food on a daily basis. This dry food is excellent for muscle strengthening, eye health, and for the digestive system of your fur baby.
See also: Recommended and safe dog shock collars
While it is still relatively new on the market, Pure Balance dog food has already made a name for itself among pet owners. Dog owners are happy with the affordability, availability, and nutritious value, and well-balanced recipes and ingredients of this dog food brand, and as it seems – so are the dogs, so go ahead and bring some joy with all the health benefits attached to it to your beloved dog today!